Here is a recipe for some awesome snack crackers – kind of like wheat thins, but homemade from scratch and baked in a hot oven. These snack crackers goes well by itself or with some tasty dip.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup almond milk (or regular milk or soy milk)
- dried herbs or seasonings of choice
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flours, sugar, and salt.
- Add the butter and mix.
- Slowly pour the milk in to the milk while stirring.
- The mixture should reach a light dough consistency.
- Divide the dough into 2 or 3 pieces to roll out individually.
- Roll one piece of the dough out on to a floured surface.
- Aim for about 1/8 of an inch thickness.
- Sprinkle some dried herbs or seasoning of your choice. (I used Italian seasoning.)
- With a rolling pin, roll over the dough lightly to press the herbs into place.
- Cut the dough into small bite sized pieces
- Using a fork, poke each pieces a few times.
- Transfer pieces to baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes or until they are golden brown.
After the snack crackers were done, I tossed it with a little bit more dried herbs and some roasted soybean powder to add a hint of nutty flavor.
Let it cool and pour it in a bowl and serve! This is a simple and fun recipe. It requires a little work, but you get to control what ingredients go into the snack crackers and adjust it to your liking. There’s so many variations to it – can use different herbs and seasonings – can cut crackers in to various sizes and shapes. It definitely makes a tasty snack – to munch on by itself or eat with dip.