I have always been a huge fan of crêpes. It’s one of my favorite things to eat in street fairs. Crêperies and crêpe trucks are fun too! Usually I order sweet crêpes – banana and nutella – but savory crêpes can be delicious too. Crêpes are so awesome because you can get really creative with the choice of fillings. I decided to put together a recipe for savory crêpes… let’s make those vegan savory crêpes.
I made these delicious savory crêpes for brunch the other week when I was home visiting my mom. The crêpe batter is made with whole wheat flour, contains no eggs and no dairy. For these savory crêpes, I made a light and simple filling with sauteed sweet peppers tossed with cherry tomatoes, super sprouts mix, and some crushed almonds.These crêpes were very light and refreshing. It was really tasty. The crêpe batter worked out really well. I can’t wait to try other variations and fillings.
Here’s the recipe.
Ingredients for crêpe batter: (Makes about 8-10)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups rice milk
- 2 tbsp flaxseed meal mixed with 6 tbsp of hot water, mix and let it sit for 2 minutes
- 1/4 tsp of salt
*For sweet crêpes: eliminate salt and add 2 tbsp of sugar and 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, flaxseed mixture, and milk.
- Mix well, until there are no big lumps.
- Place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
While the crepe batter is in the fridge, I prepared the fillings.
- Assorted sweet bell peppers (green, red, yellow, orange), diced
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Cherry tomatoes, sliced
- Super sprouts mix*
- Crushed almonds
*I picked up the super sprouts mix from Whole Foods Market. The small box package contained alfalfa sprouts, bean sprouts, broccoli sprouts, pea shoots, and fennel. I find sprouts to be very fun to eat – great in salads and sandwiches.
Heat the olive oil in a pan. Add the bell peppers. Season with some salt and pepper. Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until the bell peppers look tender. Remove from heat and transfer into a large bowl. Add cherry tomatoes, supersprouts, and almonds, and toss.
Now that the fillings are done and the batter is chilled, we can start cooking and assembling the savory crêpes.
- Heat a small non-stick pan.
- Spray the pan with cooking spray.
- Pour about 2-3 tbsp of the batter into the center of the pan.
- Tilt the pan in a circular motion to spread the batter evenly across the surface of the pan.
- Cook for about 2 minutes and then flip.
- Cook the other side for 1-2 minutes and remove from the pan.
Place cooked crêpe onto a plate or flat surface. Add fillings and fold crêpes in half, thirds, or quarters. Ready to serve!
The crêpes freeze very well. Once they have cooled, stack them up with a piece of parchment paper or wax paper in between crêpes. Place it in a freezer bag or airtight container and put it in the freezer. They will stay good for up to 2 months. Reheat the crêpes on a non-stick pan or oven when you’re ready to enjoy them again. Assemble with your desired fillings and enjoy!