A delicious rice dish is always great to accompany a hearty meal. Here’s a simple rice pilaf dish that uses diced tomatoes. This vegetarian side dish can be enjoyed by all – next to grilled eggplants or a chicken dish for the omnivores and such. This rice dish takes about 10 minutes to prep. Then while it cooks, you can put together the main entree. This recipe is based off one that I found in the Red Gold Recipe Collection.
Tomato Rice Pilaf (Recipe adapted from Red Gold Recipe Collection)
Ingredients: (4 servings)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can Redpack Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic and Oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in wok over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion and rice.
- Cook until rice is golden brown, stirring frequently, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, thyme and 2 cups of vegetable broth.
- Season with the salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium low.
- Cover and let simmer. Cook until rice is tender, about 18 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand 5 to 10 minutes.
- Fluff rice gently with fork before serving.
The tomato rice pilaf came out very well. It was tasty. Although the canned tomatoes where already prepped with basil, garlic, oregano and spices, the flavors were simple and nothing too salty or overpowering. It would have been extra wonderful if I had some fresh parsley leaves, cilantro, or chopped scallions to garnish on top of the rice. Next time I might even try adding some crunch into the rice pilaf. I think pine nuts would be a good addition to dish.
Disclaimer: I received a complimentary six pack of Red Pack tomatoes. No other compensation was received for this post. The post was written by LookyTasty and all opinions expressed are solely mine.