The Taste of Greektown street festival is a West Loop celebration of Mediterranean culture, showcasing the neighborhood’s Greek food scene. Enjoy Mezés, live Greek music, belly dancing, family entertainment and new to the festival this year, a fine arts area.
TASTE OF GREEKTOWN
August 24-25, 2013
12 p.m. – 11 p.m. on both days
400 South Halsted Street (Halsted & Van Buren)
Here’s the restaurant lineup:
- Artopolis (www.artopolischicago.com): This bakery and café opened more than 13 years ago to bring a true Eurpoean-style café to Chicago. They bring today’s technologies together with passion and experience to produce a variety of fresh-baked offerings to be savored. Artopolis’ fellow culinary sibling at Taste of Greektown is their up-the-street sister, Pegasus Restaurant & Taverna.
- Athena Greek Restaurant (www.athenarestaurantchicago.
com): Since it was established in 1997, Athena has strived to provide customers with excellent quality Greek cuisine. In an effort to guide patrons through a journey full of flavors, Athena has become the medium between ancient Greek traditions and the modern Western World.
- Greektown Gyros
- Greek Islands (www.greekislands.net): From humble beginnings, a group of immigrants grew their business into arguably one of the most popular Greek restaurant in the America. Since 1971, the same owners continue with the founding principles of great food, great service and value. From Greece they select and ship to their restaurant the highest quality extra virgin olive oil, wines, best cheeses, herbs and seafood to create an incredible culinary experience.
- Mr. Greek Gyros
- 9 Muses Bar & Grill (www.9museschicago.com): This eatery’s hospitality is a nod to the Mediterranean way of life. This includes use of the finest quality ingredients emphasizing prime cut meats, pure virgin olive oil, Kalamata olives, fresh-hand-rubbed oregano, imported cheeses and Mediterranean sea salt.
- Parthenon (www.theparthenon.com): “Dine Like Gods” is what this Greektown mainstay that opened in 1968 proudly touts to customers. What founder Chris Liakouras began with his brother, Bill, is taken to a new level by Chris’ daughrer Yanna, along with co-partner and chef Sotiris Stasinos who is always adding new dishes to the lengthy menu.
- Roditys Restaurant (www.roditys.com): It’s all about tradition and family at this Greektown culinary pillar that, for 39 years, has been under the same ownership and at the same location. Cozy, warm, friendly, unpretentious and authentic are among the kudos when it comes to praising Roditys among their legions of loyal customers.
- Santorini (www.santorinichicago.com): This restaurant proudly takes more than just its name from the idyllic Greek island in the Aegean Sea. Above and beyond Mediterranean hospitality, owner Kontos is proud of his restaurant’s emphasis on seafood. The menu contains more than 20 seafood options flown in fresh daily. Hallmark entrees include Greek-style whole red snapper and whole black sea bass.
- Spectrum Bar & Grill (www.spectrumbarandgrill.com): Opened a quarter century ago by a young Greek Cypriot, Andreas and his brother, Angelo, after coming to the U.S. for college from the far-away island of Cyprus, the siblings created both a sports bar as well as home for great food and cocktails. Spectrum give customers a friendly neighborhood experience with a menu that combines Greek, American and, of course, Cypriot influences.
- Zeus Gyros