Chicago’s Green City Market has compiled a cookbook featuring a collection of recipes gathered from their community of customers, volunteers, farmers, and Chicago chefs. The cookbook includes 88 seasonal recipes based on ingredients from the Market. There’s appetizers, entrees, soups and desserts for each season. Each recipe features a short story submitted by the recipe’s author about why the recipe is special to them. The cookbook is scheduled for release in July and is available for pre-order on their website.
Here’s one of the summer dessert recipes featured in the book. Here’s a recipe for Tart Cherry Pecan Crisp.
Tart cherry pie is one of my favorite desserts, but making and rolling out the crust is time consuming, so Cherries this easy crisp is a good substitute. The Michigan tart cherry season is very short; sometimes they are at the Market for only two weeks. When that happens, I like to buy them in bulk, pit them and freeze them in gallon-size freezer bags. For this recipe, I first soak the cherries in ice water for three hours in the refrigerator, which helps firm them up, making pitting easier. The versatile crumble topping can be used for any lightly sweetened fruit mixture, including peaches, pears or a mixture of berries. – Carol Mighton Haddix, Customer
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Ingredients (6 servings):
- 1 quart (4 cups) tart cherries, pitted
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Heat oven to 400F. Mix cherries and granulated sugar in a bowl; mix well.
- Mix flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add butter; mix with a pastry blender or quickly with fingers until small pea-sized pieces form.
- Stir in pecans.
- Place cherry mixture in an 8- or 9-inch-square baking pan.
- Place the topping mixture on top of the cherries.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the topping is browned and the filling is bubbling.
- Remove from oven and let stand 20 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.