This is one of my favorite recipes for easy, portable breakfast meals. It’s high in protein, low carb, and very versatile. The basic recipe incorporates ground poultry, grated vegetables, and seasoning. I’ve made it with ground chicken and ground turkey, either works fine. For a juicier meatball, I’d recommend a mixture that’s about 94% lean. For the vegetables, I usually grate carrots and zucchini. Sometimes I change it up by using different colored carrots and/or yellow or green zucchini squashes. Onions are optional. Garlic is too. I used ground mustard seed and dill here, but you can use any herb or seasoning blend you prefer. You could bake it in a loaf pan or cast iron skillet, but I like to use a 12 piece muffin tin instead. I find that the pieces cook a bit faster and more evenly. Best part, you get 12 equally sized large meatballs, so it’s easy to portion out and store. Taste great with ketchup!
- 2 lbs ground turkey (I like to use half white meat and half dark meat.)
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1/4 medium red onion, diced
- 1/2 tbsp crushed garlic
- 2 tsp ground dill
- 2 tsp ground mustard seed
- Coconut oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Coat the 12 piece muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a large pan, heat up garlic, zucchini, carrots, and onion. Sweat the vegetables to remove moisture. Continue stirring and cook the vegetables for about 5 minutes.
- Place ground turkey in a large mixing bowl. Add the cooked vegetables. Add ground dill and mustard seed.
- Mix and combine the ingredients.
- Divide the mixture evenly into the compartments of the muffin tin.
- Bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes or until cooked.