Decided to experiment with gluten-free baking. I decided to try a savory carrot bread. This recipe uses coconut flour. The pumpkin puree adds moisture and gives the bread a very nice texture. I made two batches – one baked and one steamed. Both worked out quite well. Baking gave it a crustier exterior, while the steamed ones were more moist and fluffy.
Ingredients: (Makes about 6 3-inch pieces)
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- pinch baking soda
- pinch cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, pumpkin puree, vanilla extract, and coconut oil.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the coconut flour, baking coda, and cinnamon.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and mix well.
- Fold in the shredded carrots.
- Transfer into a baking pan or individual baking cups.
- Bake for 20-30 mins. Bread is ready if you insert a toothpick and it comes out clean.
* Alternatively, you can steam the bread as opposed to baking.