After reading about the lilac sweet potato soft serve in an Oreo waffle cone available at select McDonald’s in Hong Kong this past summer, we were curious to make a version of our own. Something simple, dairy-free, and gluten-free. We didn’t have an ice cream maker, but we did have a high speed Vitamix. Here’s what we came up with.
- 1 ½ lb of purple sweet potato
- 2 cups reduced fat coconut cream
- 1 cup almond milk, and 1 1/2 cup almond milk reserved for later
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Trader Joe’s Gluten Free Joe-Joe’s Sandwich Cookies
- Steam the purple sweet potato to soften.
- In a high speed blender, combine the purple sweet potato, 2 cups coconut cream, 1 cup almond milk, 1/4 cup maple syrup, and 2 tsp vanilla extract.
- Blend until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into an ice tray and place into freezer.
- Remove ice tray from freezer when frozen.
- Add the frozen potato mixture into the blender with another 1 1/2 cup of almond milk. Blend until smooth. Add a little more almond milk if needed. Adjust to taste.
- Serve it with some gluten-free sandwich cookies!