I found a can of mackerel in the pantry shelf the other day. I usually use it to make a spicy fish stew to serve over rice, but this time I wanted to try something different. Here’s a recipe for some mackerel patties.
- 15 oz can of mackerel, drained
- 1/2 cup whole grain cereal, blended (I used Kelloggs All-bran Bran buds cereal. Since the pieces are already really small, I loosely blended the cereal and ended up with some crumbs and some whole pieces.)
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 3 egg whites
- 3 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp horseradish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Flake mackerel with their bones into a large bowl.
- Add cereal, breadcrumbs, egg, onion, garlic, walnuts, horseradish, salt and pepper.
- Mix with hands and form into 4-5 patties.
- Broil mackerel patties on high in baking dish with rack in middle of the oven for about 5-7 minutes on each side.
These mackerel patties came out delicious and were so easy to make. The cereal gives it an extra crunchiness. I can eat them on its own, slice it up and add it to a salad, or simply put it into a sandwich or burger. It goes well with a little dijonnaise.