Chicago’s Ina Pinkney shares her recipe for Blobbs. What are Blobbs? Ina Pinkney describes them as “a mounded cookie/brownie with 2 kinds of chocolate, walnuts, pecans and chocolate chips.” The domed shape is created using an ice cream scoop. Each piece is baked to perfection with a firm exterior and a soft indulgent interior.
Known as the Breakfast Queen, Ina Pinkney was Chef and Owner of Ina’s Restaurant in Chicago’s West Loop Market District. She retired last year and published her cookbook, Taste Memories: Recipes for Life and Breakfast. This recipe along with many others can be found in her cookbook.
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 17-20 minutes
Ingredients and preparation: (Makes 26 large cookies)
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 9 ounces dark chocolate (about 60 percent)
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
Melt butter and chocolates slowly in a bowl in a microwave or in a saucepan on the stove top; cool to room temp.
- 3 ounces flour, a scant 3/4 cup
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl; stir vigorously. Set aside.
- 3 eggs, large
- Whip eggs in a mixer on medium/high speed until lighter and creamy.
- 1 1/4 cups superfine sugar
Add superfine sugar slowly to eggs; continue whipping until very light and creamy.
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Add vanilla to egg mixture.
- 12 ounces chocolate chips
- 5 ounces pecan pieces
- 4 ounces walnut pieces
Combine chocolate chips and nuts in a bowl; set aside.
- When the egg mixture is ready, change the whip to a paddle. Add chocolate-butter mixture, combining on low. Then gradually add the flour mixture on low.
- Add the nut mixture and mix well. Finish by hand to be sure it’s all combined at the bottom.
- Pack mixture into a 2-inch ice cream scoop, scraping off excess. When released from the scoop, the mixture should hold its shape. Place mounds on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 17 to 20 minutes. The tops should look a little dry and lighter in color. You also can freeze the unbaked blobbs and bake them from frozen.
Nutrition information per cookie: 294 calories, 20 g fat, 8 g saturated fat, 32 mg cholesterol, 28 g carbohydrates, 4 g protein, 44 mg sodium, 3 g fiber