Today, Oct. 23, is National Boston Cream Pie Day! The official dessert of Massachusetts, the Boston Cream Pie is actually a cake, not a pie. It was called a pie because back then in the 19th century, they used pie tins instead of cake pans. The dessert is two layers of light sponge cake, creamy vanilla custard and chocolate icing.
Want to make your own Boston Cream Pie? Here’s a recipe courtesy of Kraft.
- 1pkg. (3.4 oz.) JELL-O Vanilla Flavor Instant Pudding
- 1cup plus 2 Tbsp. cold milk, divided
- 1-1/2cups thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping
- 1 round yellow cake layer (8 or 9 inch)
- 1square BAKER’S Unsweetened Chocolate
- 1Tbsp. butter
- 3/4cup powdered sugar
- BEAT pudding mix and 1 cup milk in medium bowl with whisk 2 min. Stir in COOL WHIP. Let stand 5 min. Meanwhile, cut cake horizontally into 2 layers with serrated knife.
- STACK cake layers on plate, spreading pudding mixture between layers.
- MICROWAVE chocolate and butter in medium microwaveable bowl on HIGH 1 min. or until butter is melted; stir until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is well blended. Add sugar and remaining milk; mix well. Spread over cake. Refrigerate 1 hour.