This recipe was initially inspired by a gluten-free carrot cake recipe. I decided to make it dairy-free as well and lower in sugar. It turned out to be more of savory carrot muffin, just lightly sweetened with brown sugar and raisins. Feel free to adjust the sugar level to your preference. For the spices, I used cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Cardamon and cloves are good choices for spices too. I always have to remind myself to use them sparingly though because they can be very pungent. Coconut oil is used instead of butter. The chopped walnuts and coconut flakes add a nice crunchy and rich texture to the soft fluffy muffin.
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted into liquid form
- coconut oil spray for greasing the muffin tin
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 6 medium eggs
- 4-6 tbsp of brown sugar (depending on your preference for sweetness)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 3 tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup raisins
- First, preheat the oven to 350 F while we prep the batter.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and almond flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar for few minutes, until mixture gets pretty airy and light. Add in the vanilla. Whisk some more.
- In another medium bowl, combine the carrots, coconut flakes, walnuts, raisins, and coconut oil.
- Now, it’s time to mix everything together. First, add a scoop of the flour mixture to the egg mixture and mix well. Next, add a scoop of the carrot mixture and mix again. Alternate between the flour mixture and carrot mixture. Repeat until everything is mixed together.
- Spray muffin pan with coconut oil spray. Scoop the batter into the pan. Bake it in the oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until set. I like to check by inserting a small toothpick or skewer and seeing if it comes out clean.
- When they are ready, remove the muffins from the pan.
- Now, it’s time to enjoy!