Here’s a recipe for an Irish lobster stew courtesy of Luella’s Southern Kitchen in Chicago. Chef/Owner Darnell Reed’s Southern Irish Lobster and Roasted Mushroom Stew features a lobster stew with Creole seasoned lobster, roasted mushrooms, Carolina Gold rice and whiskey cream. It’s a Dublin Lawyer with a Southern touch.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped shallots
- 4 ounces cooked lobster tail and claw meat
- 2 ounces roasted mushrooms
- 1 ounce Irish whiskey
- 2 ounces heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp creole seasoning
- 1 ounce whole butter
- 1/2 cup cooked Carolina Gold rice
- 1/8 teaspoon toasted benne seeds
- Micro green garnish
- Sauté the garlic and shallots until fragrant.
- Add the lobster and mushrooms and continue to sauté.
- Remove the pan from the fire and add the Whiskey.
- Return the pan to the fire and burn off the alcohol.
- Add the cream and creole seasoning and reduce by half, then remove from the fire and swirl in the butter.
- Season with kosher salt if necessary. Place in a bowl and top with rice, micro garnish and sprinkle with benne seeds.
In Chicago? Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day Tuesday, March 17 through Friday, March 20 at Luella’s Southern Kitchen with their delicious and authentic Irish-based Southern dishes. They will be preparing the Dublin Lawyer and a savory Potato Leek Soup with Smoked Braised Ham Hock. For dessert, there’s the luscious Calas, Southern rice beignet served with Irish oatmeal cookie ice cream. The regular dinner menu also will be available. Luella’s is located at 4609 N Lincoln Ave in Lincoln Square, Chicago. Luella is a BYOB establishment and there’s no corkage fee.