Here’s a simple recipe for some basic chicken pot pie. I made this last week and it was delicious!
- 1/3 cup chopped onions
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 lbs shredded cooked chicken*
- 2 1/2 cups mixed vegetables
- pie crust**
* Poached chicken breast: Put the chicken breasts in a pot. Pour in chicken broth (or any poaching liquid of your liking). Pour enough so that it completely covers the chicken. Once the broth begins to boil, reduce the heat and let it simmer. Partly cover the pot and let it cook for 15-20 minutes. Remove the chicken. Cut chicken into cubes or shred into smaller pieces.
** Pie crust: You can make your own pie crust or use the premade ones. Since I don’t know how to make the crust, I used the pie crust dough.
- Preheat oven to 425 degree F.
- In a pan, heat some oil and cook the onions for 2 minutes, stirring frequently until tender.
- Add flour, salt and pepper.
- Stir in the broth and the milk.
- Cook and stir until the mixture becomes bubbly and starts to thicken.
- Stir in the cooked chicken and mixed vegetables.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour pie filling into pie crust.
- Bake 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Instead of making one huge pie, I wanted to make mini chicken pot pies. I bought a set of aluminum pot pie dishes and one box of pie crust dough. One box of pie crust was enough for four pie bottoms, or two pairs of top and bottoms. I decided to make my chicken pot pies topless! That way I can fill up the pies with lots of chicken and vegetables.
Here’s four topless chicken pot pies and one totally nude one (on the left).