I recently cooked up some black beans and sausage in a small crock pot. The slow cooked black beans and sausage came out great and smelled amazing as well. For lunch that day, I scoop some of the black beans and sausage onto a herb mix salad and enjoyed it along with a slice of bread. Black beans are super healthy too – high in fiber and protein.
Here is the recipe. It is very simple and easy – just little prep time and the slow cooker does all the work. I used a small 2 quart crock pot to prepare the dish. This recipe makes about 3-5 servings.
- 2 plump sausage links (I used Italian sausages that were about 8 inches long.)
- 1 cup dried black beans (or 2 15oz cans of black beans)
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp horseradish mustard
- 1 cup water
- sprinkles of basil and oregano
- If using dried beans: Soak the black beans overnight. Drain. Blanch in hot water. Set aside. If using canned beans: Drain and rinse the beans.
- Pan fry the sausage links until the sausage is mostly cooked. Cut the sausage into smaller pieces. Set aside.
- Place all the ingredients into a slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 4 to 6 hours.
The horseradish mustard added a funky color to the dish but also gave it a nice flavor. The black bean and sausage went really well with the salad and bread. This dish can also be served over some cooked rice. Enjoy!