Here’s a recipe for baked fish cakes. The fish cakes are made with minced white fish, lightly seasoned with red curry paste and fresh herbs. I used cod fish here, but tilapia, halibut, or any other whitefish would be fine too. I minced the fish using a food processor. Alternatively, you can purchase finely minced fish at some Asian markets that are convenient for molding fish cakes and fish balls. The fish cake recipe is pretty basic but versatile. A little bit of red curry paste adds a nice aromatic flavor and very light heat. It’s also gluten-free and dairy-free. Feel free to try with different combinations of fresh herbs.
I paired it with a side of baked purple sweet potatoes. The Okinawan sweet potatoes are ivory-colored on the outside and deep purple on the inside. Like other sweet potatoes, these are a great source of fiber and also high in vitamins and minerals, like potassium and iron. The purple sweet potatoes are well known for their high antioxidants levels. Its purple color is linked to the high anthocyanin content. This particular antioxidant, also found in blueberries and red grapes, gives them their colors. Taste wise, they are slightly sweet and have a creamy, thick texture. They can be prepared like any other potatoes, steamed, baked, broiled, or your preferred method.
- 1 lb white fish
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp red curry paste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- coconut oil spray
- fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place the fish in a food processor and blend it until it reaches a minced consistency.
- Transfer the batter into a mixing bowl. Add the beaten egg and red curry paste and mix well. Add a pinch of salt and pepper if desired.
- Mix in the chopped cilantro and parsley leaves.
- Spray a baking tray with coconut oil spray.
- Divide the fish batter into 12 portions. Shape into a ball and flatten into a patty.
- Place the fish cakes onto the baking tray. Spray them with coconut oil spray.
- Bake the fish cakes for about 20-30 minutes, or until cooked through. (Cooking time will vary depending on the size of the fish cakes. I made 12 cakes, each about 2 inches in diameter.)
Purple sweet potatoes