This is week the 5th Annual World Go Vegan Week! Celebrate compassion for animals, the environment, and promote good health and well-being by adopting a vegan diet for a week. A plant-based diet, free from meat, milk, eggs, honey and other animal derived products, can be very beneficial to your health, and also to the environment as it dramatically reduce your carbon footprint.
Take this week to try some new foods and explore some new recipes. Perhaps, try those unfamiliar vegetables or fruits you come across in markets at times. Most importantly, have fun!
Here are some simple ideas for breakfast!
Oatmeal or cereal?
- Try non-dairy milks, like soy milk, almond milk, coconut milk, rice milk, or hemp milk.
- Get some extra-firm tofu and make a tofu scramble. (Tofu is great since it’s so versatile and also very high in protein.)
Bagel or toast?
- Instead of butter or cream cheese, try various nut butters or fruit spreads.
- Replace the meat in your sandwich with some fresh hummus spread, and throw in some veggies while you’re at it.
Pancakes or waffles?
- Make your own cup of non-dairy buttermilk by combining 1 cup of non-dairy milk with 1-2 tbsp of lemon juice. Let it sit for about 5 minutes or so and watch it thicken into a buttermilk-like consistency.
- Make your own egg substitute by combining 1 tsp ground flaxseed meal with 3 tbsp hot water. Let it sit for a few minutes, stir, and it should turn into a thick and gooey “egg”.
- Instead of butter, tweak the recipe and use unsweetened applesauce, overripe bananas, or other fruit purees when baking muffins.
Have a great week!