When I think about fall vegetables dishes, I think about warm, cozy and hearty dishes with various winter squashes, sweet potatoes, and colorful vegetable medleys. Recently, Everyday Health featured an article with 10 Fall recipes inspired by Michelle Obama’s White House Garden.
The recipes feature a variety of fresh seasonal crops and seek to inspire readers to go on a culinary journey to create healthy, comfort meals for the family. Recipes include dishes like Acorn Squash Bisque, Eggplant Parmesan Pizza, Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew, Amazon Bean Soup With Winter Squash Greens, and even a delightful Apple-Cinnamon Cobbler for dessert. Browsing through the recipes just makes me want to stop by the farmers market.
The Amazon Bean Soup With Winter Squash Greens sounds fantastic – a Dutch oven/crock pot recipe featuring butternut squash, pinto beans and spinach.
Amazon Bean Soup With Winter Squash Greens
Makes 8 servings.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 clove(s) garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrot(s), chopped
- 1 medium onion(s), chopped
- 6 cup(s) broth, reduced-sodium chicken
- 3 pounds squash, butternut, peeled and diced
- 1 medium tomato(es), plum, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, red, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper, black ground
- 30 ounce(s) beans, pinto, or 2 15-ounce cans, rinsed
- 10 ounce(s) spinach, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 1 lime(s), cut into wedges
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add garlic, carrots and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add broth and scrape up any browned bits with a wooden spoon. Add squash, tomato, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the squash is very soft and almost breaking apart, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer 3 cups of the soup to a blender and puree until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.)
- Return the pureed soup to the pot. Stir in beans and spinach and cook over medium heat until the beans are heated through and the spinach is wilted, about 5 minutes. Serve with lime wedges.