- 1.5 cup glutinous rice (also known as sticky rice or sweet rice)
- 1 14oz can of coconut milk
- 5 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- (plus side of sliced mangos!!)
- Soak the rice in cold water for a few hours. (Alternatively, pour boiling water on the rice and let it soak for 15 minutes or so.) Drain the rice.
- Cook the rice. (Pick your method: steamer, rice cooker, or stove pot.) I chose the pot method. I cooked the rice with about 2 cups of water for about 15-20 minutes. When the rice starts to pump up and most of the water is gone, I turned off the heat and covered the rice for another 10 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, heat the coconut milk, sugar, and salt. Stir constantly and let it simmer. When it starts to boil, remove from heat.
- Pour the coconut milk over the rice.
- Stir gently as the rice absorbs the milk. Let it sit for about 20-30 minutes.
Ready to serve!
Place a scoop of rice onto a dish. Arrange sliced mangos on top or on the side of the rice. Drizzle some more coconut milk on top, if desired.
I didn’t have any mangos, so I served it with sliced peaches instead. The sticky rice came out well. The rice was nice and fluffy. It did not come out too sugary sweet. When served with fruit, the sweetness of the mangos complements the rice just perfectly. The peaches were all right, but mangos would have been perfect. The sliced peaches weren’t sweet enough in my opinion. I still have a lot of rice remaining. This recipe makes about 4-6 servings. Maybe I should go buy some mangos…