Here’s a recipe for one of my favorite street fair foods: Thai Banana Fritters!
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 unripe bananas
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, coconut milk, salt, sugar, and sesame seeds. Mix well until the batter becomes smooth. Set aside.
- Cut the banana diagonally into 3 pieces about 1/2 inch thick. If using small bananas, you can just cut them in half.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan. About an inch of oil is good for deep shallow frying. The oil is ready when you place a drop of batter and it starts bubbling a lot. Make sure the oil is hot enough before you drop in the bananas, otherwise the bananas will absorb the oil and get very soggy and greasy.
- Dip the bananas in the batter, covering the banana entirely.
- Slowly slide the bananas into the oil. Fry each piece until browned, 3-4 minutes, flipping it over once.
- Drain the fried pieces on paper towels. Blot them with additional paper towels to remove excess oils.
- Sprinkle some sesame seeds on top before serving! Ready to eat!