Ever since that post about using my mini waffle maker, I have been pondering about cool tasting waffles to make. I was thinking, how about sweet potato waffles! I love to eat sweet potatoes. Sweet potato fries are delicious. Mashed sweet potatoes with a pinch of cinnamon are awesome (unless they add too much brown sugar and make it way too sweet and difficult to eat). Of course, oven baked sweet potatoes are just as great.
Here’s the recipe I used for sweet potato waffles.
- 1.5 cups sweet potatoes (peeled and cut into cubes)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 egg whites
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- Steam potatoes for 20 minutes until potatoes are soft. Mash cooked potatoes and set aside.
- In one bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, mix the sweet potatoes, milk, brown sugar, butter, and orange juice.
- Stir the potato mixture into the flour mixture. Mix well.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until fluffy. Slowly fold the egg whites into the batter.
- The batter should thicken and is now ready for the waffle iron.