Here’s the recipe for the vermicelli with spicy prawns dish seen in the first episode of the new WIGS series, “Audrey.” The series, premiered on October 29, revolves around a food stylist/blogger and her love for food. Stay tuned for new episodes.
Ingredients (for 2 generous servings):
- 8 ounces vermicelli, cooked according to package directions
- ¼ cup light-tasting olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon to 1 teaspoon garlic salt (to taste)
- several dashes of red cayenne pepper sauce (to taste)
- 6 large fresh prawns, deveined, with shell and tail left on
- Place ½ cup olive oil, 1 teaspoon garlic salt, and several dashes of red cayenne pepper sauce in a gallon-sized plastic freezer bag.
- Swirl around, to mix.
- Place 6 fresh prawns in bag, pressing lightly to coat evenly.
- Close bag until it seals tightly and marinate overnight.
- When ready to prepare meal, cook vermicelli according to package directions.
- While vermicelli is cooking, place the marinated prawns in a skillet over medium heat. (Add any leftover marinade to the skillet.)
- Cook the prawns until they are opaque halfway through, then turn and cook the other side.
- The prawns will cook for only a short time, and when they are opaque and slightly pink, remove them from the skillet to a tray that is lined with paper toweling.
- Meanwhile, finish cooking vermicelli and drain.
- Place vermicelli in a bowl and toss with ¼ cup olive oil and ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper. Stir in ¼ teaspoon of salt, if desired.
- Place on a nice serving plate and arrange 3 prawns over the top. Serve immediately.