Holiday cookies make great gifts and also wonderful to have around for entertaining family and friends. Here’s a recipe for ginger cookies courtesy of Prairie Grass Cafe of Northbrook, IL, that’s easy to make. The cookies feature a nice mix of spices with cinnamon, ginger, and clove and a bit of orange zest.
Ingredients (makes about 8 dozen):
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely grated orange zest
- 2 Tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 3 1/4 cups sifted flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon ground
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Cream the butter and the sugar together in a mixing bowl.
- Add the egg and continue to mix.
- Sprinkle in the orange zest, dark corn syrup, and water.
- Mix the flour, soda, ground cinnamon, powdered ginger, and ground cloves.
- Add the dry mixture to the creamed butter mixture and continue just until incorporated.
- Chill the dough, for two hours or overnight.
- Roll the dough out thin (1/8-1/4″) on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut into desired shapes and bake 9-11 minutes or until lightly browned.