Here is a recipe for pork croquettes that I have been meaning to post for a while. These pork croquettes make tasty appetizers. You can bake them or shallow fry them in a pan. I decided to bake them since that would be a healthier option.
Ingredients: (makes about 14 pieces)
- 3 small potatoes
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/8 cup flour
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 tsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- tonkatsu sauce
- Boil potatoes for 20-30 minutes until they are soft inside. Check by inserting a fork or knife through the potato.
- Remove the skin and mash the potatoes in a large bowl.
- Heat butter in a frying pan. Add onions and cook for a few minutes until slightly brown.
- Add ground pork and cook over medium heat.
- Mix the cooked pork with the mashed potatoes, and some salt and pepper.
- Form the mixture into balls and flatten slightly.
- Sprinkle flour on both sides of each ball. Dip the ball into the beaten egg. Cover with Panko crumbs and set aside.
- Frying: Heat oil to 375F and fry until golden brown (about 2 minutes on each side). Remove the ball from the pan. Place balls over paper towels to remove excess oil.
Baking: Heat oven to 400F and bake until golden brown (about 15-20 minutes)
- Serve with tonkatsu sauce or your choice of sauce.
Here are a few pieces.
There’s more in the oven.
This one is ready to serve!
Baked pork croquette with tonkatsu sauce