Lots of it.
The Chicago-style hot dog is essentially a Vienna Beef frank inside a poppy seed bun with SO MUCH TOPPINGS. Here are the ingredients to make your own:
- Poppy seed bun
- Hot dog (Vienna Beef)
- 2 slices of tomatoes
- 1 pickle
- 2 sport peppers
- Dash of celery salt
WHERE TO GO FOR A HOT DOG IN CHICAGO:
- Hot Doug’s (3324 North California)
- Franks N’ Dawgs (1863 North Clybourn Avenue)
- Superdawg (6363 North Milwaukee Avenue) — served with Superfries!
- Murphy’s Red Hots (1211 West Belmont Avenue)
- Wiener Circle (2622 North Clark Street) — enjoy a hot dog with intentionally rude service. (See video below)
- America’s Dog (26 East Randolph Street)
- Gold Coast Dogs (159 North Wabash Avenue
- Portillo’s Hot Dog (100 West Ontario Street))
- Vienna Beef Cafe (2501 North Damen Avenue)
CHICAGO HOT DOG FESTIVAL 2013
Hot dog lovers! Mark your calendar for the Chicago Hot Dog Fest on August 11. The Chicago History Museum in Lincoln Park is throwing its inaugural hot dog festival with hot dogs for sale, a cash bar and a presentation about American’s fascination with hot dogs delivered by “Man Bites Dog” authors Bruce Kraig and Patty Carroll.
The outdoor festival will take place behind the museum at Uihlein Plaza. Hours are 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Entry to the museum is free from 2:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. As an incentive to arrive early, the first 100 guests will receive eight free food tickets.