March is National Peanut Month and on the first day of this month, we have National Peanut Butter Lover’s Day! Whether you like your peanut butter smooth or chunky, all natural or flavored, we can probably all agree that peanut butter does wonders with many foods. One of my personal favorites… peanut butter and banana grilled sandwiches!
Peanut butter is a great source of protein and pretty nutrient dense, but enjoy in moderation. Try to go for the natural ones and avoid ones with hydrogenated oils, trans fats, and way too much sugar. A few of my favorites include Peanut Butter & Co.* and their collection of all natural gourmet peanut butters, Justins Natural Classic Peanut Butter and Honey Peanut Butter squeeze packets, and powdered peanut butter by Bell Plantation PB2, available in peanut butter and chocolate too.
Making your own peanut butter is quite simple as well.
- Pick up some raw peanuts. (Check out the bulk section of your grocery store.)
- You may choose to roast the nuts first. If so, lay out the peanuts on a baking sheet and put it in the oven at 350 degrees until golden brown. Otherwise, raw peanuts are fine.
- Place the nuts into your food processor and blend away. Add some oil or water, as desired.
- Feeling creative? You can toss in some extras like chocolate, cinnamon, spices, etc.
- Blend the butter until it reaches the consistency and texture that you like, chunky or creamy.
- Transfer into a jar and store until ready to use.
For more peanut ideas, the National Peanut Board has a great collection of recipes showing you fun ways to prepare and enjoy your peanuts, in any form from peanut butter to peanut flour.
* Now through March 4th, Peanut Butter & Co is offering 20% off their online store with coupon code “PEANUTSAREAWESOME”.