Mint julep is a cocktail comprised of four main ingredients – bourbon, sugar, water and mint. This cocktail is most commonly known as the official drink of the Kentucky Derby, which took place earlier this month. The mint is lightly smashed and bruised to release it’s distinct and refreshing flavor.
Here’s a recipe for mint julep, adapted from Epicurious.
Ingredients: (8 servings)
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup bourbon
- 20 oz club soda, chilled
- 6 cups crushed ice
- 8 fresh mint sprigs
- Mix lemon juice, sugar, and mint leaves in small bowl until sugar dissolves.
- Press the mint with back of spoon to crush lightly. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Strain the mint and lemon mixture into pitcher.
- Mix in bourbon, club soda and ice.
- Pour into tall glasses and garnish with mint sprigs.