Here’s a nice summer salad recipe from the Green City Market cookbook. The cookbook features a collection of seasonal recipes gathered from the market community, from costumers to farmers to chefs. Each contributor also brings a story behind their recipe. In Chicago? Now through October, you can find the Green City Market every Wednesday and Saturday, 7am–1pm, at the south end of Lincoln Park, at Clark and Lincoln.
Summer Bean Salad with Sun Gold Tomatoes, Market Herbs, Smoked Trout, and Goat Cheese Dressing
“I’ve been going to Green City Market twice a week since 1999. My thing is to get there before anybody else, just before it opens, around 6:00 a.m. At that hour, I might chance upon a special find or something in limited quantity: tiny mustard greens with flowers, baby sunchokes, or the first of the July tomatoes. The beans and tomatoes in this dish just happened to be sitting on Beth Eccles’ tables at the Green Acres Farm stand one day, and the idea leapt into my mind to do a light salad with smoked trout from Rushing Waters. These are the kinds of magical moments you search for as a chef; those that seem to happen at that early morning hour as you walk through the day’s harvest.”
– Jason Hammel, co-owner/chef, Lula Cafe; co-owner, Nightwood Restaurant
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 2 ¼ teaspoons salt, divided
- ½ pound mixed pole beans, such as yellow, green, and haricots verts, etc.
- 2 small pattypan squash, sliced on a mandoline or very thinly sliced
- 2 radishes, sliced on a mandoline or very thinly sliced
- ½ cup yellow Sun Gold cherry tomatoes, quartered or halved
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar or champagne vinegar
- ¼ cup chopped mixed fresh herbs, such as tarragon, thyme, basil, and chives
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 ½ teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ cup crumbled goat cheese
- 3 ounces smoked trout, broken into chunks
- Place a bowl of ice water next to the sink.
- Fill a large stockpot with water and place it over high heat. Add 2 teaspoons of the salt and bring to a rolling boil. Add the beans and simmer for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Drain the beans and plunge them into the ice water bath to cool. Drain, pat dry with a paper towel, and cut the beans on the bias into ½-inch slices.
- In a large bowl, toss together the beans, squash, radishes, tomatoes, oil, red wine vinegar, and the remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt. Add the herbs and toss again.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sour cream, buttermilk, shallot, honey, cider vinegar, and mustard and mix well. Stir in the goat cheese.
- Spoon the dressing onto 4 serving plates.
Reprinted with permission from The Green City Market Cookbook, Agate Publishing, 2014.