Although I’m not a huge carbonated beverage drinker, Slurpees bring back childhood memories. When I walked by a nearby 7-Eleven the other day and saw this poster on the window, I was reminded that Monday July 11 is 7-Eleven Day! And, you know what that means… FREE Slurpees (at participating locations, of course)!!
So, mark your calendars and stop by a 7-Eleven on Monday for your complimentary 7.11oz Slurpee drink. While you’re at it, grab a Birthday Donut too. I believe they’re like on promotion for 3 for $2. Or grab a hot dog since July is also National Hot Dog month.Meanwhile, let’s amuse ourselves with some fun facts on the Slurpee:
- Early prototypes for the Slurpee machine made use of an automobile air conditioning unit.
- When Slurpee first hit the market, it wasn’t self-serve. The machine was behind the counter and the clerk served the product to you.
- Sugar is the anti-freezing agent in most Slurpee drinks.
- American Slurpee is injected with air. Canadian Slurpee is not.
- Half of all Slurpee drinks are purchased between the hours of 4 and 11 p.m.
- In 2004, 7-Eleven created an edible Slurpee straw.
- Slurpee was “invented” when some sodas were put in a freezer to cool them down — and they became all slushy.
- The scientific name for BrainFreeze is Sphenopalatine Ganglioneuralgia.
- Pressing your tongue against the roof of your mouth is a known cure for brainfreeze.