Here’s a recipe for Glazed Garlic & Ginger Chicken Wings, courtesy of Nando’s PERi-PERi featuring their popular PERi-PERi sauces.
Preparation: 10 minutes, plus at least 6 hours to marinate wings
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Ingredients, for the wings and marinade:
- ½ cup Nando’s PERi-PERi Sauce
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 small onion, peeled and quartered
- A 3-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and cut into ¼-inch slices
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 pounds whole chicken wings (about 12 wings)
Ingredients, for the glaze:
- ½ stick salted butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons Nando’s PERi-PERi sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Place ½ cup of Nando’s PERi-PERi sauce, garlic, onion, ginger, cilantro, oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a blender and puree until smooth. Transfer the marinade to a large bowl or roasting pan.
- Rinse chicken wings under cold running water and blot dry. Cut wings in half, discarding the tips. Add the wings to the marinade and stir to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator, covered, for at least 6 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the cilantro and garlic and cook until sizzling and aromatic, about 2 minutes; do not let the garlic brown.
- Stir in the Nando’s PERi-PERi Sauce and lemon juice and let the glaze simmer until blended and flavorful, about 2 minutes.
- Pre-heat grill for medium heat. Leave one section of the grill fire-free, for a safety zone. Arrange the wings skin side down and grill until crisp and golden brown, 8 to 12 minutes per side. Should any flare-ups occur, move the wings to the safety zone.
- To test, make a small cut in the thickest part a wing; there should be no traces of red or pink at the bone. Transfer the grilled wings to a platter and pour the hot glaze over them. Toss to mix, then serve at once.