March is National Peanut Month! In celebration, Peanut Butter & Co. invites us to explore the versatility of the peanut butter ingredient. They sent over a mystery ingredient and asked us incorporated into a recipe with their peanut butter. What was this mystery ingredient? I received a bag of Nativa Naturals goji berries, along with a couple jars of Peanut Butter & Co.’s peanut butters.
I decided to put together a tasty and savory appetizer – Baked Tofu with Spicy Peanut Sauce, Spinach and Goji berries. Here I used sprouted tofu, which is supposed to be more easily digestible compared to regular tofu. The tofu is lightly baked and then served with a spicy peanut butter sauce made with The Heat is On! The goji berries are reconstituted to its plump form which tends to enhance it sweetness.
- 16 oz sprouted firm tofu, pressed
- coconut oil, for tofu
- 2 tbsp The Heat is On! peanut butter
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp goji berries (Navita Naturals Goji berries)
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Press the tofu. Remove the tofu from the package and drain. Wrap the tofu with paper towel and place onto a plate. Place another plate on top of the tofu and weigh it down with something heavy. Let it sit for 15 to 30 minutes. Remove excess liquid. Pat the tofu dry with paper towels..
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Cut the tofu into thin slices. Warm the coconut oil so that it is in liquid form. Brush the tofu with coconut oil.
- Arrange the tofu on the baking sheet. Bake for 20-30 minutes, flipping halfway through. Shorter bake time produces softer tofu, while longer bake time produces a chewier texture.
- While the tofu is in the oven…
- Prepare the peanut sauce. Whisk together the peanut butter, lemon juice, raw apple cider vinegar, and water as needed for desired consistency.
- Reconstitute the goji berries. Soak the goji berries with warm water for 5-10 minutes.
- Lightly steam the baby spinach.
- Assemble. Remove tofu from oven and place on a plate. Top with a small spoonful of peanut sauce, some spinach leaves, and a few goji berries.
One lucky reader will receive TWO jars of Peanut Butter and Company peanut butter! Enter the giveaway using the Rafflecopter widget below. U.S. residents only. Giveaway ends on March 22nd, 2015 12:00 PM ET.
How would you use peanut butter in a savory dish? #MysteryIngredient
Disclaimer: As a member of Peanut Butter & Co.’s Yum Squad food blogger club, I received product in exchange for this post. All opinions expressed are my own.