Here’s an Italian Gravy recipe courtesy of Redpack tomatoes.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hour
- 1 cup red wine, +2 tablespoons
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 baby back ribs, beef neck bones or short ribs
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 carrot, minced
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 (6 ounce) cans Redpack Tomato Paste
- 4 (28 ounce) cans Redpack Whole Peeled Tomatoes In Juice, crushed with hands
- 1 (28 ounce) can Redpack Tomato Sauce
- 1 quart water
- 2 tbsp dried basil
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pound Italian sausage, cooked and drained, or meatballs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place 1 cup red wine, oil, beef neck bones, onion, celery, carrots, garlic, salt and black pepper in a roasting pan; stir to coat.
- Roast neck bones and vegetable mixture in oven until vegetables are tender, 1 hour. Stir in about 2 tablespoons red wine while scraping any brown bits of food off the bottom of the pan. Roast until vegetable are browned, about 30 minutes.
- Pour vegetable mixture into a 16 quart stock pot over medium-low heat; simmer for 30 minutes. Add REDPACK TOMATO PASTE, REDPACK WHOLE PEELED TOMATOES in JUICE, REDPACK TOMATO SAUCE, water, basil, oregano and parsley; stir well. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce reduces, 4 to 6 hours.
- Remove neck bones from sauce; scrape marrow out of bones. Add marrow to sauce and simmer until dissolved, 1 to 2 hours.
- Add choice of meat to sauce during the last ½ hour of cooking.
- For a smooth sauce, blend in batches until smooth. Add Italian sausage or other meat to sauce after blending.
Option: Cook pasta, a pound pasta in ½ gallon water, just until al dente. After sauce has cooked add ¼ cup pasta water and al dente pasta. Cook until pasta is completely cooked. This allows the pasta and sauce to combine their flavors for an exceptional tasting meal.