The Green City Market Cookbook, which debuted this summer, contains a wonderful collection of delicious recipes provided by Chicago area chefs and consumers who shop the Green City Market. The cookbook features 88 recipes by season availability using sustainable foods. Here’s a Fall recipe from the Green City Market Cookbook along with a note on the inspiration behind it.
Brussels Sprout, Apple and Blue Cheese Salad
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Makes 4 side dish servings
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
- 1 small red apple, diced
- 1/4 cup sliced or chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted
- 4 tsp balsamic glaze or balsamic vinaigrette
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- Heat oil in a 10 inch skillet over medium heat. Add Brussels sprouts. Saute until almost tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add apple and onion. Saute 3 minutes. Transfer to serving plates. Top with cheese and pecans. Drizzle glaze or vinaigrette over salads. Serve with pepper if desired.
A few years ago I found a few too many Brussels sprouts in my bag, along with red onion, red apples and blue cheese, after a morning of shopping at the Market. One night after a few glasses of wine, this recipe came to me. It is now my go-to salad whenever I see Brussels sprouts for sale. The salad can be served warm, at room temperature or chilled. – Laura Lamar, Customer
Green City Market winter location and hours:
November through April
Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum at 2430 N Cannon Drive.
Saturdays 8am to 1pm