Here’s a simple recipe for a chocolate truffles that brings together carrots and chocolate. The original recipe uses peanut butter as a base, but any other nut butter will do too. Each piece comes out to about 40 calories and makes a nice portable snack. Keep them in an airtight container in the fridge.
Chocolate Carrot Truffles
Ingredients (12 pieces):
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots, set some aside for garnish
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut, set some aside for garnish
- 1/4 cup roasted, unsalted almonds
- 1/4 cup roasted, unsalted cashews
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter, or nut butter of choice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line a standard size sheet pan with parchment and set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse shredded carrots until fine. Add coconut and nuts and pulse until combined and finely chopped.
- Add nut butter, maple syrup, vanilla, cocoa powder, spices, and salt one ingredient at a time while pulsing. Blend until smooth, and the dough comes together, nearly forming a ball. 2-3 minutes.
- Scoop chunks of dough with a tablespoon and roll into balls. Sprinkle the tops with a mixture of remaining coconut and shredded carrot, and place on parchment lined sheet tray.
- Chill in the freezer for 15 minutes.