NYC’s own Chef Gregg Drusinsky won the “Daring Parings,” challenge on ABC’s ‘The Taste’ where contestants had to create a dish to pair with Alamos Malbec, a bold Argentinian wine known for its flavorful and food-friendly qualities. Chef Gregg won the challenge with his delicious short rib recipe that paired wonderfully with Alamos Malbec. You can try this exclusive recipe, provided below courtesy of Alamos Wines.
By the way, Gregg Drusinsky and Sarah Ashley of ABC’s ‘The Taste’ will be hosting a pop-up dinner at The Old Bowery Station this week, February 28th – March 2nd, where they will be preparing a five course meal featuring some of their favorite dishes for their own unique take on homestyle food.
Five Spice Crusted Short Rib with Eggplant and Miso Black Garlic Jus
Paired with Alamos® Malbec
Recipe by Chef Gregg Drusinsky
Ingredients (Serves 4-6.):
- 2 small eggplants
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- Salt to taste
- 10 small shallots, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup sake
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 cluster maitake mushrooms
- 4 oz. smoked eel
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste
- 1 head black garlic, sliced
- 1 lb. boneless beef short ribs
- 2 teaspoons five spice powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked salt
- 3 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 2 teaspoons ground bonito flakes
- 6 green onions, white end sliced, green tops cut in chiffonnade
- ½ bunch cilantro, small leaves picked
- Char the whole eggplants over a flame until black and soft. Scoop out the insides from the skin and pulse in a blender with sesame oil; season with salt.
- To prepare jus, sauté shallots and garlic in canola oil in a large saucepan until soft and aromatic. Add sake and reduce by half. Add chicken stock, soy sauce and mushrooms and cook for 20 minutes. Reduce heat and add eel; simmer for 10 minutes more. Pour mixture through a fine strainer to remove solids. Place miso and black garlic in a blender. Slowly add the mushroom broth, blending until smooth.
- To prepare short ribs, season meat with five spice powder and smoked salt. Heat oil in a medium skillet over high heat. Sear meat on all sides; reduce heat and cook until medium rare. Set aside for 5 minutes then thinly slice.
- To plate, arrange sliced short ribs over eggplant puree then drizzle jus around short ribs. Garnish with bonito flakes, scallions and cilantro.