Tomatoes in a quick bread? I’ve never tried that before, until now. I came across this recipe for Spicy Tomato Bread from the Red Gold Recipe Collection. It looked like a very simple and easy recipe with basic ingredients that you’d probably already have in your pantry – a can of tomatoes, bunch of spices, eggs, vegetable oil, and your baking essentials like flour, baking soda, baking powder, and such. Tomatoes are high in vitamin C and also has lots of antioxidants too.
This recipe calls for a 15 oz can of crushed tomatoes in thick puree. I used Red Gold’s 100% natural tomato product. I made a few modifications to the recipe and made it vegetarian-friendly and also a bit healthier, I guess. Instead of the eggs, I used egg substitute made by combining 1 part flax seed meal with 3 parts hot water. I reduced the amount of sugar in the recipe by a half. One cup of sugar just seemed too much to me. I used about 1/2 cup of raw cane sugar. I used a half whole wheat flour and half all purpose flour combination.
Tomato Bread (Recipe adapted from Red Gold Recipe Collection)
Ingredients: (8-12 servings)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp flax seed meal + 6 tbsp hot water (substitutes 2 eggs)
- 1 (15 ounce) can Redpack Crushed Tomatoes in Thick Puree
- 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine eggs, oil, sugar in a large bowl.
- Stir in Red Gold Crushed Tomatoes.
- In another bowl, combine flour and spices.
- Combine the tomato mixture and dry ingredients; batter will be thin.
- Pour into a greased 5×9-inch bread pan.
- Sprinkle the almonds on top.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until knife inserted comes out
- Cool completely before slicing.
The bread had a wonderful aroma and tasted great too. Although it’s called Spicy Tomato Bread, I found that the blend of spices gave it a very slight kick but it was more savory than spicy. The bread had a very nice texture. Moist and flavorful, and so satisfying. This dish would make a delicious item to complement your breakfast or a tasty mid-afternoon snack too.
Disclaimer: I received a complimentary six pack of Red Pack tomatoes. The family-run company from Indiana, produces over 100 different styles and flavors of tomato products in 20 different sizes and containers, with a mission “to produce the freshest, best tasting tomato products in the world.” No other compensation was received for this post. The post was written by LookyTasty and all opinions expressed are solely mine.