Uncategorized

Quarter Juice?

on

Anyone remember the name of that beverage sold at Bodegas for a quarter? They kind of looked like mini colorful grenades.

I have been trying to recall the name of this questionable beverage. I tried googling for the name. I tried search terms like “bodega quarter drink” and “mini grenade drinks”. However, there was no luck of identifying the name. I came across several pictures, but was unable to read anything off of them. These beverages were referred to by many, as ghetto juice, quarter juice, quarter water, etc. They were sold at Bodegas or corner stores for a quarter each, and came in little barrels with an aluminum peel-off top.

To my surprise, I came across a box of ghetto juice a while back. Little Hug! That’s what they are called. I remember that I used to drink them as kid. (I don’t know why. ) It contained probably less than 1% of fruit juice. It’s basically water, sugar, and food coloring.

About Looky Tasty

Recommended for you

0 Comments

1. Anonymous

April 25, 2008 at 12:33 pm

Quarter Water were awesome..but do you remember the upgrade..if you pay 50 cents you can get a thurst burst (same taste, different brand- still made of simply water, sugar, and color).
    thanks for reminding me of a good memory.

2. Anonymous

June 16, 2008 at 1:21 am

yes! thanks for puttin this up, I was recalling the same memory and tryin to figure it out, and when i googled it-this came up. so thanks for that đŸ˜‰

3. Tammy B.

September 8, 2008 at 12:47 pm

Thanks for helping me find this. I was looking for a graphic on these and noticed your blog..

They were also called Teeni Drinks as well. I can remember getting them for a dime along with penny candy and bags of chips for a quarter… Ahh what HEALTHY snacks! Thanks for the trip down memory lane…

4. Adam

September 15, 2008 at 12:00 am

this is awesome! i was trying to explain to one of my white friends what the quarter juice was and i sent her this link! i love it!

i can almost taste it now…

5. Melissa

January 7, 2009 at 7:36 pm

they were called teeni fruit drinks. back then they contained a lot more sugar. they used to burn my throat on the way down. they were also sold piecemeal. the shape of the bottle looks different now too.

6. JOSEFUDES

March 31, 2009 at 6:01 pm

That is too funny! I used to drink those things. Little diabetes makers…

7. MG Brazil

March 24, 2010 at 10:08 am

This article is great!
    LMAO @ Melissa. These juicies definitely burned on the way down if they weren’t chilled enough. In Brooklyn where I grew up we used to call them 25 cent juices or quarter juices. Remember the 50 cent Tropical Fantasy sodas that everybody said killed your sperm?? hahahaha Those were just like quarter juices but with tons of carbonation.

8. pato

April 21, 2010 at 9:33 am

when ur blasted ghetto juices r da shit